The Finance and Office Assistant Program is for international professionals with experience in administration and financial services that are currently registered with Toronto Employment and Social Services.
This intensive program includes 20 weeks of training and a six-week work placement. You will build your understanding of administration and finance standards and procedures in Canada. The knowledge you gain will increase your self-confidence and enhance your ability to secure and retain paid employment in administration and finance occupations, such as insurance and leasing.
What will I learn?
The classroom component covers:
- Business writing and communication
- English keyboarding
- Financial planning
- Introductory bookkeeping
- Office procedures (with job shadowing)
- Technical training, including Microsoft Office
This program includes placement services. You will be connected with a job developer who is dedicated to finding the employment opportunities that are a right fit between you. The job developer will assess your skills, experience, and employment requirements, and introduce you to prospective employers.
Employment strategies include:
- Six week unpaid work placement (Canadian work experience)
- Interview coaching
- Job search techniques
- Labour market information
- Life skills coaching and interpersonal development
- Workplace communication
- Employment placement support for six months
Is this for me?
- Currently on social assistance
- Canadian citizen born outside of Canada, permanent resident (speak English as a Second Language or dialect), refugee claimant, or convention refugee*
- Eligible to work in Canada (must have a valid work permit)
- Must be familiar with Keyboard and Computers
- Intermediate level of English (CLB 6+)
- Willing to commit to entire duration of the program
* Priority will be given to people who have been in Canada for less than 5 years
When and where
Start date: June 28, 2013
Time: Monday to Friday, 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Location: Skills for Change | Toronto Central
Registration and information
- Make sure you meet all of the eligibility criteria
- Contact your TESS caseworker
For more information: 416-658-3101 x221 or x232
Funded by the City of Toronto
You might also be interested in our low-cost professional development courses in business and finance.